Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tori Amos - Night Of Hunters - album review


I have been listening to the new Tori Amos album on NPR Music's First Listen player this week and have actually been hesitating about giving my opinion on it. The first time I listened to it I just felt mildly irritated, all the way through, but it could have just been because I wasn't really in the mood for Tori Amos. The problem is that I felt the same niggling feeling of irritation every time I put the album on again.

I'm a little conflicted about this because conceptually it should really work: Tori's gorgeous voice and lyrics combined with beautiful chamber music should be an instant win. But there is something that just doesn't work in it for me. I just want to fast-forward to another song. I can't even find one song that stands out for me over the rest.

There is one part that I thought was pretty cool: Tor's daughters both make appearances on the album (vocals), mainly her eldest daughter who ha

I actually feel terrible giving this a bad review, just because Tori was really one of my favourite artists growing up. Maybe I just need to just give up on this one for myself.

The album is goign to be released in the US on September 20th.

Tori Amos official website

No comments: