Sunday, October 30, 2011

Rant: people and their pets

Last time I checked, having a pet meant that you were responsible enough to look after said pet. Eleven years ago I adopted an abandoned cat who had not yet been weaned and she is still with me to this day. I certainly wasn't responsible enough to even look after myself properly, but I made sure that she was always looked after and happy. She lived with my Mum during the couple of years that I lived in Israel and London, but other than that she has always been with me, and she's always been happy. Good food, clean litter, toys and lots and lots of cuddles.
As much as I want a dog, I know that it just wouldn't be fair to get one just yet, even though I have more time now. I just wouldn't be able to afford a dog right now, as they are so much more high maintenance than a cat. So, I will wait a while until I know I can afford a little jack russell, or pitbull, or bull terrier... I've always wanted a bull terrier with a patch on its eye so I can call it Bullseye, just like Bill Syke's dog in Oliver Twist. So yeah, not yet. Luna doesn't mind dogs, so I'm not worried about having them live together, it's just financially not a good idea right now.

A few months ago some girls moved into the apartment across from mine. They seemed pretty nice, although really young. They have a little dog, something between the size of a chihuahua and a jack russell, It's really cute and affectionate and they seem to look after it, I mean it looks like it is well-fed and loved. However, over the past few weeks I have noticed that whenever it is left alone it howls and barks and cries. And, even worse, it throws itself continuously against their front door, over and over and over again. So much that the whole hallway is filled with the noise of a little dog in despair, and there is nothing I can do about it! It just makes me so sad, because it is obviously lonely and hates to be left alone for long periods of time.

I finally saw one of the girls today and told her what was happening, and she looked at me as if I was insane, laughed, and said "yeah she gets lonely", and then tried to close the door in my face. I tried to tell her that it was a little more than that, but she laughed again and slammed the door.
Really rude.

Just like I said in my last FB status... Some people really don't deserve to have pets. makes me so sad. Now this little dog is going to continue to throw itself at the front door and maybe hurt itself, and there isn't anything I can do to stop it. I know this shouldn't affect me, but i am really sensitive and these type of things make me sad.

At least I know that this little one is happy:

2 comments:

Bridezilla said...

Makes me really sad to know about that dog too. :(

Holly said...

OF COURSE it should affect you. You're a kind-hearted soul who values life. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. It's heart-breaking and that dog deserves a better life.