Sunday, June 6, 2010

Karen Elson - The Ghost Who Walks

Once or twice a year I get completely blown away by an album, and consequently listen to it over and over again without tiring of it.

The first time this happened this year was with Karen Elson's first album, The Ghost Who Walks. I heard the first single, thought it was quite good, made a mental reminder to buy the album when it came out and then forgot about it. I downloaded it last week, and what a surprise! I was expecting something pretty good, especially because anything Jack White produces cannot be bad. I wasn't expecting it to be amazing though! Karen's songs are literally beautiful! The lyrics are full of metaphors between life and nature, dark and simple, intricate and pure. On top of that the music is haunting, simple and complex at the same time. There is a signature Jack White guitar sound here and there, but other than that it's all Karen. She has a gorgeous voice...

Some of my favourites:

Stolen Roses

Lunasa/Cruel Summer

1 comment:

Zimlicious said...

I've listened to her album for the first time today, and I like it quite a lot.