Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ramblings: People's actions and reactions

I didn't like January at all, and I was beginning to like February, until the last couple of weeks. Then I lost two people I knew, one being my favourite person in the world, my Nana. I will write about her separately, next week, after the funeral, after I have made it back to England and read the piece I wrote for her out loud in front of everyone she knew and loved. I can't write about it on here just yet, she deserves a post all to herself telling everyone how absolutely fabulous she was, and will always remain in everyone's memories.

This week has been extra strange, mainly on the topic of human beings and their interactions with people. Sometimes I really wonder what people are thinking when they live their lives in the way that they feel is normal. Do they think about how their actions and words are going to affect people? I still don't believe that we are born inherently bad or good, but that along the way, as we forge our characters we learn how to become ourselves. Along the way we make choices, and are affected by events that happen in our lives. I know that this is how I became me, so I am assuming it's pretty much the same for everyone. Now this isn't going to become a philosophical essay à la Descartes, just a general observation on the actions and reactions of people that I have noticed these past few weeks. Sometimes I just like to take note of little stories and let them sit there in your (and my) minds. They may not mean anything, but they have made me think...

Over the past few weeks several girls have come into the bar to vent to me about a certain person that they have been hanging out with. Yes, I know I'm a bartender so I have to listen, but I also actually like to listen, and give advice if I can. Especially to girls who are going through some kind of heartbreak or something of the same nature. I just want to mother them and help them through it. Just like my girl (and guy for that matter) friends do for me when I go through something like that. Turns out this person they were venting about is the same person. See, I had clocked this person from the very moment I met him; you know, the type of guy you can have fun with, but who you can't take seriously. But now there are so many of these girls, women, who despite all of their misgivings, took him seriously and are hurt, and come to talk to me about it. So what drives someone to go through life treating other people like this? Yes, you can say that the women are stupid enough to fall for it, but at the same time, why would you even want to go around hurting people like that in the first place? Beats me. I wouldn't have enough energy to even try.

On Tuesday a girl walked into the bar looking for a job. She seemed so sweet and friendly and new to NYC. Turns our she had moved here 6 days ago, so, as always, I felt the need to help and protect her. I knew that they were hiring at the Taqueria next door, so she ended up getting a job there, and also a few new friends and a bar to hang out in (most important things to find when you first move to the city: job+friends+bar). She came in to say hi after her shift last night and told me that all the people she knew had told her to watch out for us and that it was weird that people would randomly like to help someone like that. Um... Really? So you aren't allowed to do random acts of kindness without thinking about what you may get in return now? For me it wasn't even an act of kindness, just helping out. My friend who manages the Taqueria filled an empty position at his restaurant, this girl is not going to starve, and we all found a new friend. That's life. There are still people who do nice things in this world, just because, well because they are nice people.

Last night a friend of mine was hanging out at the bar, and was trying to think of ways to help me fund my trip to England. She got a random call from a guy that she knew from her old job, and got him, and his friend, to come down for a drink, in the hope that they would be good tippers. When they got to the bar she realised it wasn't the person she was thinking of, and they were just awful. That type of person that I do my best to avoid at all costs. Rich, entitled, and looking to score drugs and hot girls (that they will pay for if need be). I wanted to vomit in their Grey Goose vodka Redbulls, especially after they started flirting pathetically with my friend and groping her. Thankfully they weren't watching me pour their drinks and I served them delicious well vodka and flat red bull in the hopes that they would get the fuck out of the bar as soon as possible. Luckily for us all they weren't any women willing to go back to their hotel rooms with them so they left looking for more action in Times Square. Gross. What is it with men (and women for that matter) who think they are entitled to treat everyone else like shit because they think that money buys them superiority? Gross, gross, gross.

Every day I am thankful that I have such good friends, and they are all such good people. I'll definitely have more stories like this over the next few weeks, but I won't be able to post regularly until I get back from England. It's going to be really hectic and a difficult time. We are having a mini happy hour fundraiser at 200 tonight, so if you live in the city come down for a drink. <3

No comments: