Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Holga Challenge


For the last 8 months or so I have been so focused on using my Canon AE-1 that I haven't really used any of the other equipment that have either bought or been given. That goes for the Brownie Box Karli gave me for Christmas, my Canon DSLR, my smaller Canon, the Holga Karli gave me for Christmas... Coupled with the fact that I don't feel very inspired at the moment I have decided to set myself a new challenge. I have used the Holga once, and was quite happy with the results (I like the vignetted edges, and the way blue skies appear so brightly on the prints), and have been carrying it around in my bag for the past two months, taking random photos here and there. I now have one B&W film to develop and am running through a new colour one. I don't even remember what is on the film!
Beth gave me this book last week as my belated-birthday-get-well-soon present (I had a terrible cold): Fantastic Plastic Cameras and while I was looking at it last night I decided to start a new challenge - maybe it will give me inspiration for other ideas once I am finished. Over the next month I am going to continue to take random pictures with the Holga, focusing on non-posed portraits and all of the usual images that tend to catch my eye while I am walking around. Once I have finished I will have the prints developed once in a drugstore and then I will develop the ones I like best myself (will give me the chance to use the darkroom on Troutman St).

I may be disappointed - there is no real way to know if a photo is going to come out the way you want it to with these types of cameras, but that's what intrigues me. So let's see how it goes!

Here is some information on the Holga for anyone interested: Holga

A photo taken this Spring with my Holga:

No comments: